Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I'm just trying to read my MRI - the neurologist doesn't

Customer Question

I'm just trying to read my MRI - the neurologist doesn't have time, so I'm trying to translate it myself. I have a syrinx. My neck was crushed 90% in an accident many years ago. Now they do periodic MRIs, and a year ago they found a syrinx. I didn't know about it until a month ago - guess the neurologist didn't read the report in 2014. Anyway, I just had another cervical MRI that showed: "There is an ovoid focus of T2 hyperintensity within the cord at this level measuring up to 11.7 mm in length."
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I can help answer your questions.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I can try to explain the concepts behind formation of a syrinx in trauma. Unfortunately i have a bad connection. So this has to be brief.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

A Syrinx is an abnormal dilation of the central canal. I would ask how wide the 11.7 mm syrinx is at its widest point ?

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

The T2 weighted change in the cord is important if comparatively new. It could suggest increased CSF pressure inside the syrinx. The need to shunt may need to be addressed

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

The decision to do anything is determined by your change in symptoms and in your neuro exam. You might want a second opinion on this new MRI if changes are new. Here in NYC. The chiari center in manhasset ny is world Famous for treating syringomyelia. Please get back to me if i can help or rate my service if satisfied. Dr frank