Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I am on day 7 or 8 of my cold, my symptoms have abated

Customer Question

I am on day 7 or 8 of my cold, my symptoms have abated however i am still having chills, they are mild but quite disconcerting as I have never had this symptom before is this normal, I had a bad cough, unproductive, a lot of sneezing watery eyes and a
99.4. temp for 3-4 days. How long can these chills last?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

If majority of your symptoms have abated then this is unlikely anything serious in nature. Sometimes one or more symptoms lag behind other symptoms while resolving so it is quite possible the chills are just lagging behind the other symptoms and in the next few days they are too expected to resolve. However you may ask your doctor to find out whether a course of antibiotic would be necessary – just to hasten the recovery process. If this is a viral infection then antibiotic is not necessary however if there is also some concomitant bacterial infection then an antibiotic course can hasten the recovery process so this is something to be considered.

One or other way this does not appear to be any serious issue and we are certainly not dealing with any complications from the recent infection.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor