Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

About a year ago I became ill, my body stopped functioning

Customer Question

About a year ago I became ill, my body stopped functioning properly, I had nerve pain, muscle weakness and my bones hurt. Not long after that I lost vision and had a lot of pain in my right eye which they diagnosed as optic neuritis. My body never felt the same after that, I weird nerve sensations still and spasticity of the muscles. A few months later I got optic neuritis in my right eye again. I now have permanent vision and colour loss in that eye and now wear glasses. A few months later again, I have bad nerve sensations coming from my neck area which is affecting my whole body, I can hardly walk. I have been tested for many viral and bacterial illnesses which have come back negative. I have been tested for NMO and that came back negative. I had a lumber punch and they checked for oligoclonal bands and that came back negative. MRI shows 3mm lesion at C7/T1 and mild swelling and T2 hyper intensity to the right optic nerve near the apex. The doctors are baffled by my condition and I keep getting told that nothing about my condition makes medical sense. I am at a loss to know what to do anymore. I am in Australia. Thank you.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to ja

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello I can not diagnose you from here

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

But could make suggestions to hopefully improve your chance for a diagnosis. Since this started with diffuse joint and muscular pain. Have you had an evaluation for rheumatologist auto immune diseases like lupus sarcoid behcet cns vasculitis.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any white cells in your csf

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Please get back to me with those answers and ask questions if u think I can help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have seen a rheumatiodologist and have been evaluated for the things that you mentioned, to be told I have one of those things. I have had a lung x-Ray which came back normal. They have checked for tumours using a ct scan with dye which came back negative. The only thing abnormal in my CSF was my protein was too high.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry the lupus and sarcoidosis etc when evaluated, they said I had none of those conditions.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

So isolated CNS vasculitis as well. Tough case. Don't have suggestions for referral in Australia. What did neuro ophthy say about the ON? Did they do optical coherence tomography on the optic nerve head. Demelination? Any chance toxic insult? Get back to me if I can help. Dr frank