Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

I get tongue fasciculations just after flexing my tongue

Customer Question

I get tongue fasciculations just after flexing my tongue hard or pushing my tongue against my teeth. The twitches look like the ones you get around the eyes, where tiny fibres look like they squeeze together and release, sometime small patches stick down for 5 seconds. I had had then for 4 years. I flex my tongue everyday and the twitches swap places and spread but are always there. I can induce some for months and then they stop. If I rest my tongue I get very few and in the morning it is harder to induce them. For the four years I have had chronic myokymia/fascics around the eyes after squeezing them shut tightly too, also some other facial muscles. Why do I srem to be able to induce these types of twitches? I get bodywide twitching too but can not provoke these ones and have had a clean EMG on my tongue 3.5 years ago. A neuro recently did a clinical which I passed. I have been told it is BFS and inducing them means little.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

benign fasciculations can be caused by increased muscle and nerve strain, low potassium and low magnesium levels, excessive fatigue, dehydration, and excessive anxiety

it is common that when you stress muscles or nerves, you can induce fasciculations

you can ask your doctor to get your blood potassium and magnesium levels checked.

do you have excessive anxiety symptoms?