Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

My son is 28. He has had anxiety attacks but what we are

Customer Question

My son is 28. He has had anxiety attacks but what we are worried about is, he feels drunk all the time. No, he's not drinking, but that is how he feels. He's been to a chiropractor for a couple of months, but not helping. One time he turned his head and said he doesn't feel drunk turned a certain way but he can't do his job like that. He's a diesel mechanic and very good at what he does, but 2 years of feeling like this is not satisfactory for any of us. Have you heard of this before?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

There are certain neurological or inner ear issues that can cause drunk like feeling on constant basis. If there is any damage to the cerebellum part of the brain, or inner ear balancing structures called as vestibular structures, or the connections between these two like vestibulocerebellar structures then one can experience this type of drunk feeling. When he can move the head to certain position the symptom gets better implies this is most likely related to the inner ear rather than the brain however with this type of symptom he needs evaluation for both neurological and inner ear issues. If not already done then he may try to see a neurologist and an ENT doctor so that he will receive a thorough neurological and inner ear evaluation followed by certain relevant investigations like an MRI scan of the brain and a Video nystagmography etc and this approach can help in finding out the precise cause for his symptom and then treated appropriately depending upon the final precise diagnosis.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor