Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I have persistent, severe numbness in all five digits of my

Customer Question

I have persistent, severe numbness in all five digits of my right hand. With any moderate use, the numbness causes my right hand to cramp completely, with radiating pain.
After numerous mis-diagnoses, the current thinking is that it is a form of neurogenic thoracic outlet syndrome, precipitated by cervical dystonia. The muscles on the right side of my neck were severely hypertrophied, my shoulder was elevated by about an inch, and my right scapula wings (long thoracic nerve involvement).
I had botox injections beginning in Feb but they were not done properly. My right anterior scalene was not injected until seven days ago.
My current plan is to give the botox several weeks/months to atrophy the muscles and see if the numbness improves. If still no improvement, I may again consider surgery.
In the interim, I am interested in further evaluation, just to make sure that there is nothing else going on, and try to get some assurance that the botox will improve my parathesia.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

any other medical issues?

This sounds accurate.

have you had an EMG?

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. If you have more questions, just reply. :)