Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Cana mrsa infection cause confusion and affect the brain?

Customer Question

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Yes mrsa infection can affect the brain and also cause symptoms like confusion etc.

There are varieties of ways by which mrsa can affect the brain as follows;

1) By causing meningitis

2) By causing encephalitis

3) By causing meningoencephalitis

4) By causing brain abscess etc

Meningitis is the infection or inflammation of the meninges. Meninges are the protective covering of the brain.

Encephalitis is the infection or inflammation of the brain tissue itself.

Meningoencephalitis is a combination of both meningitis and encephalitis.

Brain abscess is development of pus material within the brain tissue.

As you see there are varieties of ways by which mrsa can affect the brain. However if mrsa infection has taken place in the brain then most often there will be other symptoms like fever, chills, neck stiffness, severe headache, vomiting etc. If these symptoms are absent and confusion is the only symptom them the possibility of mrsa infecting the brain is very low possibility.

If there is suspicion for mrsa infection of the brain then seeing a neurologist and also undergoing certain investigations like a brain MRI scan & a CSF (Cerebrospinal fluid) testing etc will help in ruling out all the possibilities mentioned above.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor