Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have had an earache month. I took certain and levaquin.

Customer Question

I have had an earache for a month. I took certain and levaquin. Have pain thru neck and shoulder. Feels like a pinched nerve in my face
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just answer. I would ask you for the exact region you have the pinched nerve sensation on the face. There are three described areas on the face, V1, 2 and 3. V1 goes to the top of the forehead to the level of the eye, V2 goes from the eye to an area which is a line going from the corner of the mouth to the ear, and V3 is below that line, to underneath the chin. Do you have pain on your cheek (in the V2 distribution)?.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have cheek pain and post nasal drip on the left side too. I also had shingles on that side recently
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

It could be that these symptoms are part of facial pain, called Trigeminal neuralgia, or you have involvement of the cervical spine and the pain is radiating up around the ear, and the side of the neck. It is hard to diagnose you from here but I would ask if you have seen a neurologist for an evaluation? Please get back to me with answers to these question, ask questions.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi. you are here

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

So it is possible you have a condition called Ramsay Hunt Syndrome have you heard of that?

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Did you see an ENT doctor for an evaluation of your ear canal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not seen an ent but have been to my prmarydr 3 times
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

where exactly was the shingles?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a pericardial mass removed in June by cars surgery and the shingles were on my left upper quadrant by the incision
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vats surgery
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

oh, I see, you didn't have them by your face. But it is possible you have an inflammation of the nerves to the face/neck to shoulder (brachial plexus) from the shingles virus. You don't have to have the rash in that area

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I cannot tell from here, but you might go to a neurologist if you have this lingering pain, and infection doesn't seem to be the problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No rash there. I guess I could either have allergies or a virus too . I also have bad sinuses
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

His neurological exam will focus on changes to the face/neck and may be able to give you a cause/reason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

when you touch your face,does it feel at all different in comparison to the other side?

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

in the area that hurts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

ok, well that is a good thing

It doesn't have to be there, but suggests the nerve is not permanently damaged

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

The best I can do for you from here is to encourage you to see a neurologist, as your problem could be neurological

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will do
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

If you get tests, or if he says something you don't understand, please get back to me anytime. I will try to fill in the blanks. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

good luck to you