Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Will a Medrol dose pack help w/nerve pain like sciatica? I

Customer Question

Will a Medrol dose pack help w/nerve pain like sciatica? I have back and leg problems. Along with lower leg and toe numbness.
I've had fusion surgery in my back and get periodic epidural shots in my back, but can't get in for 3 weeks. I'm hoping this would help.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Yes, Medrol dose pack can help with getting relief from nerve-pain like sciatica. In fact it is one of the treatment options for severe sciatica nerve-pain. Medrol being a steroid preparation it helps in reducing the inflammation associated with nerve injuries like sciatica and helps in relieving the pain.

Medrol being a steroid can cause irritation of stomach in some patients so please try to take Medrol after some food or with plenty of water or you may try agents like Pepcid or Zantac etc which can help in preventing stomach irritation developing from steroid Medrol.

Once again to your main question, yes, Medrol dose pack can help in controlling the sciatica related nerve-pain so you may consider trying a course of it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor