Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery, 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a unexplained pain and bruise from the top

Customer Question

Hello, I have a unexplained pain and bruise from the top underportion of my arm, beginning in the armpit. The pain started in the arm pit two days ago. It feels like a bruise all the way to the elbow and twists around slightly to the front after the elbow - extending almost to the wrist. I have no bruise in the armpit or on the upper arm. The bruised area is 4 inches above my elbow and is traveling down towards my wrist. I had been released from the hospital 6 days ago. I was in for a second reoccurrence of C Diff. There were more IV's started than I can remember. The PIC line was in the other arm. The pain in the arm and elbow started before any bruising appeared.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Spontaneous bruising is not uncommon especially in this setting where someone has been hospitalized. The bruising can result from electrolyte imbalances, IV fluid excess, trivial trauma that went unnoticed, cellulitis etc. Since, there is pain, I would suggest that you have this looked at. Usually, this is just due to spontaenous rupture of superficial venules but in those cases pain is rare. Although this bruise follows the region of the basilic vein and phlebitis (inflammation of the vein) is a possibility but an examination is vital to delineate and define this.

Tenderness and pain are an accompaniment of cellulitis and inflammation.

Let me know if you need more information.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Best wishes.