Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

In the past week when I wake up the first joints of my

Customer Question

In the past week when I wake up the first joints of my fingers hurt. Especially the pointer finger of my left hand at the knuckle. I'm right handed
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist; the expert to whom this question was originally addressed is not available now so the company has made this question available to other experts too and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Coming to the discussion;

The symptom of joint pain is also called as arthralgia. Arthralgia may be secondary to arthritis (inflammation of the joints) or it may be due to some other systemic health condition. There are various arthritic and systemic conditions that can cause arthralgia and the following possibilities need to be considered;

1) Rheumatological or autoimmune connective tissue disorders (examples for such conditions include rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, sjogren’s etc).

2) Various types of infections too can cause painful joints (lyme disease, hepatitis etc)

3) Medical conditions like thyroid conditions etc too can cause joint pain

I am not telling all these above possibilities are applicable in your case, but providing you with a list of possibilities based on what we see in our clinical practice to explain your symptoms in the joints of your hand/fingers.

All these above mentioned possibilities need to be thoroughly explored and in this regard you may see your clinic Dr as soon as possible. They will clinically examine the affected areas/affected joints including a thorough physical examination and then arrange certain tests like x rays, special blood tests (like ESR/CRP, RA factor, ANA, SS-A. SS-B, lyme & hepatitis antibodies etc – these last two tests only if you have risk for these types of infections due to tick bites or blood transfusion, sexual exposure etc – not otherwise) and once a final diagnosis is made it will be treated appropriately.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor