Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery, 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My hands have begun to start goin numb. Like on my rt hand

Customer Question

My hands have begun to start goin numb . Like on my rt hand its my thumb and middle finger . And my left hand jus seems to b swollen w alot of pain. Its been goin on now for bout a week.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

At your age, the most likely explanation of these symptoms is nerve compression at the carpal tunnel. The median nerve which supplies the palmar surface of the thumb, index, middle and half of the ring finger gets compressed at the level of the wrist. This causes pain, tingling, numbness in the area of the distribution. Both the hands can be involved at the same time as well. The best thing is to visit your PCP as soon as possible for diagnostics like Nerve Conduction Study and a physical examination. Splinting should be started to alleviate the symptoms and if the problem persists, carpal tunnel release is required which is done as a day care procedure under local anesthesia by a plastic surgeon or orthopedic surgeon trained in hand surgery. For now I would suggest that you sleep with your hand in extension at night and elevated over two pillows. I would also suggest that you start on anti inflammatory pain killers like Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice a day and massage therapy with Ibuprofen liquigel over the wrist thrice or four times a day.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Best wishes.