deardr
deardr, Doctor
Experience:  I have worked in a Medical School for last 10 years as a faculty.
25541092

I had a sudden onset of pain in my knees, ps, and lower

Customer Question

I had a sudden onset of pain in my knees, hips, and lower back. The pain in my lower back is almost unbearable. Followed by diarrhea and a headache. I am concerned it could be worse than just a virus.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  deardr replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Do you have weakness or tingling at the legs? Were any investigations obtained?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
General weakness and fatigue. I have not seen anyone yet.
Expert:  deardr replied 1 year ago.

Diarrhea causes fluid loss and this leads to generalized weakness and body ache. Virus infection is the culprit for body pain too {joints are more affected}. Lower lumbar spine pain is likely due to the infection. It should go away once diarrhea reduces.

I would think of disc bulge at lower lumbar spine and this will present with symptoms like pain, tingling and numbness at lower limbs. I am happy that there are no such symptoms with you.

Next step - Have adequate fluid {so as to stay away from dehydration}, take rest, start with apple sauce/ rice/ toast.

Generally diarrhea due to viral infection goes away in few days and no antibiotic course is needed.

Wish you well.

Best

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ken, I went to the hospital. It is dengue fever. Just fyi
Expert:  deardr replied 1 year ago.

Wish you well.

Take adequate rest. Look or any signs of reduced platelet counts {redness over the skin, blood in urine, stool or vomitus}. This should be considered an emergency.

Best