Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I had shingles on my shoulder blade and right arm. It

Customer Question

I had shingles on my shoulder blade and right arm. It largely cleared up with just some red marks to indicate where it was this was over 2 months ago. I now have excruciating pain across my abdomen and lower back and a serious drop in energy. Could this be another outbreak of shingles?. No blisters, no rash?.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA I am a board certified neurologist in the US, here to help. The pain is a condition known as PHN, post herpetic neuralgia, that can occur in about a third of cases of the shingles. Medications to treat the pain such as Lyrica or Cymbalta are the mainstay of treatment. Since there is no rash in the new area you describe, it still could be a new outbreak, but it is unlikely. A neurologist would test the sensory thresholds of that area using a pin to check for hyperalgesia, but the treatment is the same. Have you considered the shingles vaccine at this point. It has been shown to reduce exacerbation rates for this problem, even when given after the first event.

Please get back to me with questions.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I hope I was able to answer your question, please get back to me if you need further information, or rate my service if you are satisfied, as that is how I am compensated for my work thanks *****