Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

Leg injury on Monday. Fell through a ramp. Swelling and

Customer Question

Leg injury on Monday. Fell through a ramp. Swelling and bruising from thigh to shin. By Wednesday it was getting better. Friday the sharp pain started on my outer thigh every time I stand. Sharp very unbarrible pain. Very little swelling left in my leg. Pain from just below my hip to above knee on outer left leg. Can bend knee, ankle just fine
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Can you also flex and extend the hip fully? Any pain in the groin area when you range the hip on that side?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no pain
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

any redness, bruising or swelling along the side of the leg from the hip down to the knee?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bruising little red mostly yellowish tinted bruising in mid of hip/knee
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

It sounds unlikely that you fractured your hip or femur, especially if you are able to weight bear without much discomfort. Given the nature of the injury, however, and the more recent onset of pain laterally, it would be a good idea to have the leg image to make sure the bones are in alignment, the joint is in good shape, and there are no hairline fractures. In the absence of a fracture, the pain you are describing could be from trauma to the tensor fascia that runs along the side of the leg from the greater trochanter near the hip down to the knee. There could have been blood tracking along this structure leading to inflammation which is now causing your pain. Rest and anti-inflammatories make sense, but to be sure there is not a more serious injury, having the limb examined and imaged would make sense.