DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

I injured my left shoulder 5 months ago doing overhead

Customer Question

Hello, I injured my left shoulder 5 months ago doing overhead weight lifting. I had very mild pain for an hour or so and that was it. But my deltoid started twitching almost everytime I raise my arm above my head. Especially if the muscle is exhausted.
It didn't seem anything serious and I thought I'd give it time to heal. Anyways it has been 5 months now. The twitching is still there and the middle part of the deltoid seems to have ateophied. I don't know when that happened but I just noticed it a few days
ago. The anterior and posterior parts are strong as ever. I did an EMGand results were normal. MRI showed no rotstor cuff tears or deltoid sprain or so. Only very mild subacromial bursitis. But no one gave me an answer to the atrophy and the twitching I get.
It can't be due to disuse because I exercise regularly and my right deltoid seems round and normal. It's only the left. Does anyone have any ideas what might be my problem?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Have you had an MRI?

If so, what results

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had an MRI. Tendons looked fine and no musclar tears either. But the radiologist said I might have a mild subacromial bursitis. This could be casing me pain but as far as I am concerned it can't be related to the twitching and muscle loss which persisted from 5 months now.I also forgot to mention that I have to numbness in my shoulder and general strength when abducting seems in the normal range.So what are you expecting?
The part of muscle that twitches when I raise my arm is not exactly the part where there is atrophy, and the bulky posterior part directly next to it
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

OK

This is more than likely chronic structural stress.

See an MD specialist of physical medicine and rehabilitation.

The correct manual medicine program should alleviate the problem.

It might include therapy, massage, acupuncture, home exercises, traction, etc.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I see. I still have a questionI know the axillary nerve supplies the whole deltoid, and my EMG result was normal, but is it possible to have and axillary nerve damage to one of its branches that supply this particular area of my deltoid (the part that atrophied) and have the rest of the nerve intact? Keeping in mind I have sensation above this atrophied area
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

The EMG/NCS would not miss this.

I suggest you double check with the doctor who did the EMG.

OK, so that is an initial answer….