Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I am a diabetic, my ankles aren't swollen but my feet swell

Customer Question

I am a diabetic, my ankles aren't swollen but my feet swell as soon as my feet hit the floor. I am on water pills, I also have copd.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.
There are myriad causes for swelling of the feet. I see that you have COPD and this condition itself can cause swelling of the feet by affecting the functioning of the right sided heart. There are various other causes for swelling of the feet as mentioned below;
Anemia
Nutritional deficiencies like low protein in the blood
Certain vitamin deficiencies like B12 or folate deficiency
Autoimmune connective tissue disorders
Endocrine disorders like thyroid diseases
Kidney or liver diseases
High blood pressure
Certain medication side effects (applicable only if you are on medications)
Obstruction to the venous blood flow in the legs or pelvis
Peripheral neuropathies (peripheral nerve damage) etc
I am not telling all these above are applicable in your case, but providing you with a list of possibilities based on what we see in our clinical practice to explain your symptom of swelling in the feet.
As you see there are myriad causes for swelling in the feet and if not already done then you need a thorough clinical evaluation & laboratory investigations to find out the exact cause.
And I want to reassure you that there are many non-serious causes too for this type of swelling of the feet so feet swelling does not automatically mean something serious is causing it; please try to see your clinic doctors as soon as possible because early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for a quick and complete cure.
All the very best!
Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor