Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

Started with knee pain..progressed to twitches in my calf in

Customer Question

Started with knee pain..progressed to twitches in my calf in feb. doctor sent me to rheumotolgogist who said was fibromyalgia. Tried amirol, various other things and then cymbalta. All the time twitches getting worse and more widespread. Eventually rheumotologist was able to see them and referred me to a neurolgist. She sent me for emg and nci tests in may. Result said subacute chronic S1 motor radiculopathies bilaterlly. I was told with the cymbalta it would pass. It hasn't and in fact has got worse to the point of me being unable to walk for any amount of time..ie 5 mins
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had full blood tests .. all came back clear..electrolytes, vitamins, magnesium etc. I have a perceived muscle weakness in my knees that makes it so painful to walk but clinically they are not weak. I have burning pain unlike any other pain i have ever had, along with the feeling of below the knee being almost numb..as if it has been in cold water... I have occasional shooting pains in my arms but that feels more like an electric shock going up and down them...occasional fasciculations in my arm but nowhere near as often as my leg(s)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
muscle cramps in my feet! Not every day though.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
how old are you?
your doctors are giving you psychiatric medications like cymbalta
do you have excessive anxiety or depression?
patients who have excessive anxiety can have benign fasciculations which are small twitching of small nerves and muscles close to the skin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm 42. No i don;t have depression.... the amirol was prescribed for fibromyalgia and when i had really bad reaction to them they changed it to cymbalta. The neurologist also said the cymbalta would help with nerve pain.. but ive noticed no improvement..if anything it's worse. Not anxious..i had to give up my second part time job as that involved walking which i can no longer do but i have another income so not stressed about that either
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
there are other medications for fibromyalgia such as Lyrica (pregabalin) and also Savella (milnacipran) which could help
you haven't tried neurontin for nerve pain either.