Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

Past 2 days my right arm has been having a numbing, tingling

Customer Question

For the past 2 days my right arm has been having a numbing, tingling feeling from the shoulder down. I am a 35 yr old morbid obese single mother of 3 children, 2 of which are special needs. I was in a accident with a 53' semi trailer over 10 years ago
that I suffered from Vertigo for a while and did have some injuries in the right side of my neck consistent with being side swiped ( I have no real memory of the actual accident, I just recalled "waking" up in my car and realizing something was not right and
stepped out of my car and saw that I had been hit). What could be causing the symptoms?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your condition

Now the most likely scenario which could be causing you these symptoms, is compression of the nerve roots exiting from the cervical spine. Im saying This because of the numbness and tingling that you are feeling from the shoulder down through to your hand. The nerves exiting the spine can be compressed due to various reasons but in your case it can be a result of the trauma that you had. The best thing to do here is to get a MRI of the cervical spine done as soon as possible and then discuss the results with a spinal or orthopedic surgeon.

There are other possibilities for the symptoms that you have been experiencing, a possibility is that of peripheral neuropathy which is a disease of the peripheral nerves which can be damaged in many conditions such as diabetes for one and vitamin B deficiency among others. This can be detected with the help of a nerve conduction study and clinical examination. The treatment is based on controlling the underlying problem and controlling the pain wit drugs like lyrica.

One more possibility is that of a stroke.... Or rather a mini stroke that would cause numbness in the right arm as well.... You should have this evaluated with a mri of the brain as well. Of course this should be considered only after a clinical exam to narrow down the possiblities.

I would suggest that you discuss these options with your doctor and have him examine you and then proceed from there.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated J. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.