Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a pain in the lower left back side of my head and has

Customer Question

I have a pain in the lower left back side of my head and has been coming and going in the same spot regularly I have a sore spot on the skin too no viable bride and have not hit my head it has been crippling painful once spiking to the top of my head and down my kneck any thoughts
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
How long has this been bothering you?
Have you tried any medicine to ease the pain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A couple months mostly when I'm stressed or working hard
I took some Tylenol it helps a bit
The pain is always in the same spot tho
Thank you for the additional information.
There are two common causes of pain in the area that you describe.
It can be related to irritation of the nerves from the upper neck. These nerves serve the back of the head. Degenerative changes in the spine would be the most common cause of irritation of the nerves from the upper neck.
It is also common to have pain in this area from muscle contraction headaches, also referred to as tension headaches. In this situation, the muscles develop spasm and tightness that is not related to any underlying anatomic condition. As the alternate name indicates, these headaches are commonly exacerbated during periods of tension or stress.
Since degenerative changes are not as common in someone of your age and you notice that the pain is worse when you are stressed or working hard, it would be more likely that this is from muscle contraction headaches.
Since the Tylenol has not helped, it would be reasonable to try an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It also may help to use local care, including the application of ice or moist heat, massage, or ice massage. There also are several prescription medicines that may be able to help, although that would obviously require seeing your doctor.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.