Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

My cardiologist did a 24hour urine test on me and it came

Customer Question

My cardiologist did a 24hour urine test on me and it came back with very high level of meta nephrines in it he wants me to see anEndocrinologist to rule out Pheochromocytoma but I take 250 mg of levodopa 3 times a day for Parkinson's Disease. Would that change the results
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Well the simple answer to this question is that yes levodopa does interfere with the urine test for metanephrines and it can cause falsely elevated levels of metanephrines in the urine. The best way to confirm if you have pheochromocytoma is to get a CT scan of the abdomen which can show any growth on your adrenal glands and correlating your symptoms with the results. Or urinary collection for VMA (vaniyll mandellic acid) can be done or total catecholamines levels can be done to confirm the diagnosis.

The best way would be to talk to your doctor and tell that you were on levodopa. It is well documented that that levodopa along with other drugs can interfere with the test and cause this problem.

I hope this answers your question.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated J. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.