Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

Lower back and hip pain

Customer Question

I have low back and hips pain for four weeks now. It came suddenly one day. It's hurts only when standing or walking. Pain is burning and cramping, not sharp.
Last two days it's suddenly focused only on my right hip or, more precisely in middle of a buttock and radiate to leg.
Is it nerve or orthopedic issue?
Thank you
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Im sorry to hear about your condition. From what you describe this seems to more like a nerve pain than a orthopedic issue. From the symptoms that you're describing, it seems like you have sciatica. The symptoms of pain in the lower back which is radiating to the leg and buttock seems to be more like that. Sciatica usually occurs due to compression of the nerve roots leaving the spinal cord. This can be due to several reasons. The best way to get a definitive diagnosis would be to see a neurosurgeon who will get a xray of the lower back (lumbo sacral spine) and if needed follow that up with a MRI of the lower back. This will help with the diagnosis. In the meantime he can prescribe you some painkillers and might even recommend physiotherapy which can help a lot of patients to deal with the pain. If you want you can try OTC painkillers for the time being such as motrin. The burning nature of the pain can indicate nerve pain and that too can be treated.So i would recommend scheduling an appointment with your neurosurgeon and getting these test done at the earliest. I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated J. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off. If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali". Thank you for using Just Answer.
I see you have read my answer, do you have anymore questions for me? Is there anything else i can help you with?
I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated . Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".
Thank you for using Just Answer.