Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I slipped and fell while playing outside with my daughter

Customer Question

hi I slipped and fell while playing outside with my daughter ..fallng backwards ... hit the back of my head on grass ... feel fine ..but have a slight headache ... anything to worry about ..im 53 year old male .thanks
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for the question and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns. And sorry I couldn't reply earlier as I was away from the computer and just returned.
Coming to the discussion;
It sounds like you have not sustained any major or serious injury due to this fall.
Developing some headache is common after hitting the head against something and this symptom itself does not imply any serious head or brain injuries. There are certain major symptoms if present raise the suspicion for a major head or brain injury, for example symptoms like loss of consciousness, vomiting, severe dizziness/fainting, facial droop, paralysis or weakness or arm or leg muscles, confusion/disorientation, occurrence of seizures etc. If you are not experiencing any of the above mentioned major symptoms then this injury is unlikely to be serious. On the otherhand if you are experiencing any of the above major symptoms then you need to visit the emergency room for a thorough clinical examination and CAT scan of the brain.
Once again I reassure you that if slight headache is the only symptom then this is most likely not a serious head or brain injury, on the otherhand if there any of the major symptoms mentioned above in that case you need to visit the emergency room as soon as possible and undergo a thorough clinical evaluation/examination followed by a CAT scan as mentioned earlier.
Overall based on your description of the event that you hit the head against the grass (relatively soft surface), and also experiencing just a slight headache it sounds like you are unlikely have sustained any major or serious head injuries like internal bleeding etc.
All the very best!
Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor