DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

In March of this year I had a golf ball sized knot appear in

Customer Question

In March of this year I had a golf ball sized knot appear in the right occipital region of my skull. The pain was excruciating and went down my neck and into my right eye. After anti-inflammatory injections and muscle relaxers it subsided some however the headache and some swelling remain. 2 doctors have sent me for a CT and an MRI. They keep taking images of my brain and not my skull. This is outside my skull not inside. The MRI results I received today do say small right mastoid effusion. To complicate things even more I have serious cervical issues due to a c1 fracture as a child. I am now fused c1-c2 and c3-c7. Each doctor just keeps passing me somewhere else. Neck surgeon to neurologist, etc. Help!
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neglected to mention the first image, the CT scan did not get a picture of the knot at all so was of no useful value.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also forgot to mention antibiotics had no affect
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Hello
What is your question exactly?
And what is your doctors diagnosis of this knot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess that is it. The surgeon thinks it is muscular but sent me to a neurologist that wants to treat me with botox for headaches. No one has really diagnosed. What kind of dr do I need to see? I think it might be a torn muscle. Would that show on an MRI of the brain? Is there a test that would look at those muscles?
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
It can also simply be your contour. All skulls are different.
It is not in your brain. An MRI of the brain is useless.
If nothing abnormal shows on an x ray or CT scan, which apparently you have had, then it is not something abnormal.
It could be a sebaceous cyst, which would act like this.
If that is the case, they are simply to remove, and that is the cure.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told by the dr that the CT scan did not image far enough down to get an image of the swollen area at all so it was of no value. It can't be determined if it was abnormal because no image was taken. Would an ENT be a better choice for treatment? The swollen area is at the very base of my skull and is swollen from my cervical spine all the way over to behind my ear. It feels muscular to me.
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
ENT would be fine.
OK, so that is an initial answer….