Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I have "severe" cervical foraminal stenosis from C4-5 to

Customer Question

I have "severe" cervical foraminal stenosis from C4-5 to C6-7. No central (cord) stenosis or involvement.
It's difficult to find much information online about this, but as I understand it, this condition (these particular nerve roots) only causes upper body symptoms - such as in the arms, hands, shoulders, neck and upper back.
I have had a lumbar MRI (showing no reason for the below symptoms), a brain MRI which my new neuro wants to see, and this week a cervical MRI which noted the above findings, and no MS lesions. This neuro said point blank (prior to this C-spine MRI) that he suspects PPMS, however there were no lesions mentioned.
THE question: is it at ALL possible for this condition to cause neurological symptoms in the lower body, such as muscle spasms (spasticity) in the low back/hips/thighs, shooting pains, foot cramps, burning, loss of temp, pain and vibe sensation in feet, cold water feelings, weakness and numbness, etc.? Also tightness/spasms around in the mid- back?
Thanks so much.
Dawn
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dawn, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.
I will answer your health concerns point by point below here;
1) The cervical spine findings you are having (showing only foraminal stenosis) cannot explain the lower body & lower limb symptoms. This C spine MRI findings can only cause upper limb or upper body symptoms.
2) To produce lower body or lower limb symptoms the C spine MRI should involve the spinal cord, but you do not have spinal cord involvement in the C spine area so this C spine MRI cannot explain your lower body/lower limb symptoms.
3) Based on this C spine MRI you are unlikely a case of PPMS because any type of MS should show abnormal findings in the MRI scan, but your C spine MRI scan did not show any such findings.
4) Further recommendations for you include an MRI scan of the thoracic spine & a nerve & muscle test by name EMG/Nerve conduction test, and you also need a spinal tap to check the CSF (Cerebrospinal fluid). You may also need blood tests like ESR/CRP, RA factor, ANA etc to check for autoimmune connective tissue disorders, a Lyme test & hepatitis tests, and thyroid tests etc (if not done already).
If any of these above mentioned tests have not already been done then please ask your neurologist to arrange for these tests which are expected to help in finding out the precise cause for your symptoms.
Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor