DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

Ihave been diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia. From one of

Customer Question

Ihave been diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia. From one of the brain test, the thing that made me have those horrible pains is that one of the arterys that are supposed to be straight down to the pituitary, bend and t ouch the nerve. I am a 72 yrs old female and have high pressure. My Neurologist said that he are not going to give me any surgery one of the reasons he gave me is that he have to do an open brain surgery. I'm with Tegradol and doing good. Is that the only alternative I have for my condition, keep having Tegredol all my life?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your problem. Can i ask apart from the tegradol have you been prescribed any other medication? And are you suffering from any other diseases which might cause your physician to hesistate for surgery?

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Yes there are other options, including injections that can deaden the nerve.
There are also other medication options.
More nerve oriented medications.
See this list of possibilities here:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/trigeminal-neuralgia/basics/treatment/con-20043802
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

I do agree with Dr Thomas, there are several other options regarding treatment of trigeminal neuralgia apart from surgery and medication.

These can include microvascular decompression, gamma knife surgeries or even percutaneous procedures. Usually in patients who are above the age of 65 radiofrequency procedures are used which basically means that a less invasive form of surgery is done. But usually the surgical option is considered after using medication for atleast a short period of time during which if the patient doesnt respond then it is considered. As your surgeon suggested any surgery can be a risk, and if your pain is controlled on the current medication you can consider staying on it. However the above options which i have given you can be discussed with your surgeon. If you like i can give you the names of the exact procedures and discuss this with you further.

Please let me know if i can help you and if you require any more information.

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Hello
If you have any questions on the procedures I have given you on the link, let me know.
Also, see my add services offer, as I can offer you specific treatments from the standpoint of integrative medicine, some of which have worked for my TGN patients.
I am a double board certified doctor and I can help you any other day by request as well.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The medicines I had had are; Lamictal, Neurontin, , I don't remember the others but I have been in trials for the last 2 yrs. the only one that have function is the Tramadol. The others options of treatment the doctor have consider it but when he saw the results of the test he consider to use only the Tegretol. I have high pressure , Migraine Headches, Fibromialgia and several allergies, Asthmas
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Lyrica has not been tried.
It often succeeds when neurontin fails.
It is much newer.
There are also the injection procedures mentioned int he article I gave you , and your neurosurgeon should be questioned about who in you area does these.
In addition, you should get a second opinion a out relieving the pressure on the blood vessel surgically.
If there are no contraindications to the surgery, which you have not stated, then this would be definitive.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Answering Dr. Thomas question, I had had Neurontin, Lamictal, Tegretol and others that I can't remember now. I suffer from Migraine Headaches pain, high pressure, Several allergies, Fibromialgia,
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Please see my above answer, and let me know if you have more questions.
Please stay on this post.