Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I sprained my wrist about 2 years ago, i remember my wrist

Customer Question

I sprained my wrist about 2 years ago, i remember my wrist being bruised and had pain for a few months. I try to splint it and kept it iced when i can. about last year i checked with a doctor and had xray scanned, seemed like there was a ball cartridge that popped out. my wrist has been feeling the nerves kind of rubbing against each other and typing doesnt help sometimes. i do wear the wrist brace on and off but seems like its not progressing any better.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Was this a plain x-ray?
Did your doctor prescribe any medicines for this?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.
There are several options to consider when symptoms persist in this type of situation.
It may be better to consider advanced imaging of the wrist. Plain x-rays can provide information about much of the wrist, but cartilage is not seen well and ligaments are poorly seen. Advanced imaging, such as an MRI are better able to visualize these structures.
Continuing the splint and using local care, including ice and moist heat, is fine, but there are a couple of other common options to consider for treatment.
It may help to use an oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine. There are two that are available over the counter, ibuprofen and naproxen, although a higher strength is available by prescription. It may be necessary to take a higher dose, either by using the prescription strength pills or simply using more of the over the counter strength. The ibuprofen can be used in doses up to 2400 mg per day, in divided doses, and the naproxen can be used in doses up to 1500 mg per day, in divided doses.
If an oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine is not effective, then another option to consider would be the use of steroids, including an injection of steroids into the affected structure, such as the joint or a tendon sheath. To be able to do this, it is necessary to have clear evidence of what structure is affected, so if it is not clear from exam, this would be another reason to consider advanced imaging of the wrist.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.