Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

First, let me tell you that I do have myasthenia gravis.

Customer Question

First, let me tell you that I do have myasthenia gravis. For several years I have had periods of aching all over, slight nausea, a feeling of great heaviness in my legs accompanied by bad aching in my legs, especially my knees. These episodes seem to coincide with times when I am having constipation. When I mention it to my doctor (or any doctor----I am an RN), I'm told that these things are not related and it's probably nothing. That may be true but it concerns me. During these episodes I am almost disabled. I am so tired and have no energy. When I was younger I had heaviness and aching in my legs right before my period started. That stopped after my hysterectomy in 1979. I am going to talk to my doctor again but thought I would try to research it on line first.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The hysterectomy was due to cervical cancer. I have had 4 brain surgeries. The first 3 were in 1990. One to remove a posterior fossa cyst. Then to insert a P-V shunt and a month later had the shunt revised due to severe headaches. Everything was fine until the shunt clotted off in 2005 and I had a 2nd shunt inserted. All surgeries went well although I did develop meningitis after the first one due to the mesh that was used to strengthen the suture line. The mesh was removed during the 2nd surgery. In 2000 I was diagnosed with hypertension (not a surprise, there is a strong family history). In 2006 I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, it is controlled with Metformin. In 2012 I was diagnosed with myasthenia and had a crisis in Jan. 2013 for which I was in the hospital and got 3 days of IVIG. I take Mestinon 60mg TID for the MG, Bupropion for depression, and Singulair for asthma. I had a cholecystectomy in 2010. I am 5'9" and weigh 235 lb. I still work part time nights so I may not check my e-mail every day. Thank you.

could it be fibromyalgia?

has this been explored?