Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

This is regarding my grandmother, she is 80 years of age.

Customer Question

Hello ,
This is regarding my grandmother , she is 80 years of age . Recently she was unable walk steadily like she used to and was having difficulty in balancing
while walking . Also she started having double vision .
The doctor asked for a MRI . The MRI report gave observation as "Ill-defined heterogeneous enhancing mass lesion in right C.P angle measuring 4.1*3.5*3.7 cms
with adjacent tentorium and extension inot the internal acoustic auditory canal cerebelli enhancement with mass effect and edema - probably acoustic Schwannoma."
The doctor is suggesting surgery however cautioned risk given the age of by grandmother .
My grandmother used to walk fine couple of months back now she is unable to walk and quite depressed .
Please suggest , are there any other options available other than surgery ?
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also please let me know would surgery be the right option at her age. She is 80 years.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
I am sorry that no expert has yet responded, but this is a complex situation.
With a tumor of this size, surgery would be the usual preferred option. However, it is realized that surgery entails risk, and the risk is greater in the elderly, but the risk is also dependent upon other health conditions. There are some 80 year old women that are quite healthy for their age, while other 80 year old women are much more frail. If she is reasonably healthy, then surgery would be preferred.
If her surgical risk is greater, then the option that can be considered would be radiation therapy. Radiation is generally not as effective as surgery, particularly with larger tumors, but is generally better tolerated than surgery.
With the severity of symptoms that you describe, most doctors would favor surgery, but if she has significant health issues that create risk for surgery, it would be reasonable to arrange an appointment with a Radiation Therapist to discuss radiation treatment.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.