KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.
22767285

A week now. Kind of numb feeling at or just above belt line

Customer Question

For about a week now. Kind of numb feeling at or just above belt line on right side. No swelling or pain.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Thanks for your question. I am a board certified neurologist in the U.S.

This is a bit of an unusual location to have numbness, but if it is numbness on just one side with no other visible lesions or rashes, and no swelling or changes in the area of the numbness, then I would think about the possibility of a problem affecting the nerve root exiting the spine or perhaps the spinal cord itself.

Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 year ago.

This type of problem would be evaluated by a detailed history and examination, and possibly imaging studies such as an MRI of the spine could be considered.

Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if there other questions about this.

Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 year ago.

If you would like to discuss by phone, please provide your number and I can reach you. Otherwise we can continue the conversation in this forum and you can let me know your questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just feels weird. Numb sensation but also feels like swelling sensation but no apparent swelling. No pain at all. 1st thought was lifted something too heavy and tore something and maybe had a hernia but no apparent swelling, pain or other changes.
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. In that case, typically an evaluation of the spinal cord and nerve roots would be reasonable, usually with an MRI scan, most likely of the Thoracic (mid portion) of the spine.

Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 year ago.

I would certainly suggest seeing a neurologist to start the evaluation and to perform a proper neurological examination to figure out where the numbness is arising from.

Expert:  KarayanMD replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if there are any other questions. If I have been helpful to you, don't forget to accept this answer. Bonuses are always appreciated.