DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

This past Sunday morning, I woke to find the top joint

Customer Question

This past Sunday morning, I woke to find the top joint (closest to my nail bed) of my left pinky very swollen and extremely painful. I was able to type at my job on Monday but it hurt otherwise. I didn't do anything with it until Tuesday night when I finally put an icebag on it. It was like night and day when I woke up Wed. The pain was very low and the swelling had started to subside. Now, on Friday, its almost completely pain-free. My one concern, though, is there is now a bump on the right side of my joint which is hard and slightly painful when I push on it. The whole thing has been very weird since its never happened to me before and I've never injured my left hand or that finger before (I'm right handed, btw). Thoughts?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  dr abid replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ...

It seems that you have inflammatory edema around the joint that hurts on pressing , it will take little time to recover .

It would be ideal for you to ice it and have NSAID like Tab Ibuprofen 400 mg three times a week for 3-5 days , you will get better .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please leave positive feedback for me .

Thanks .

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is infection until proven otherwise.
Go see a doctor now.
Arthritis, gout, all possible.
I am a double board certified US doctor and will always give you correct answers.
Let me know if you have more questions.