Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

How is it recommended to take pain meds having a cervical

Customer Question

How long is it recommended to take pain meds for after having a cervical laminectomy, 2 disc replacements, and a spinal fusion
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.
The pain meds can be used as long as necessary and there are no restrictions on the duration to which the meds can be used. After the spine surgery some patients continue to experience lot of pain for very long time and these patients are asked to continue pain meds until they are pain free.
In addition to the pain meds you may also try one or more of the following treatments to help in getting relief from the pain;
Physical therapy
Lidodern anesthetic skin patches (far less side effects compared to the oral pain meds)
Acupuncture
Diathermy
Ultrasound therapy
Cold Laser therapy
Electrotherapies like TENS (Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) or Interferential therapy etc
These above treatment options produce no side effects or very minimal side effects unlike the pain meds and if you are not using any of the above options then you may please consider trying them. These options can be used along with the pain meds too to obtain superior pain control or you can use only these agents if you wish to come off the pain meds.
Once again to your main question, you can use the pain meds as long as necessary, and if you are already not using any of the above agents then you may also consider trying one or more of these additional treatment options to get a superior relief from the severe pain you are suffering from the post cervical spine surgery.
Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor