Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

A minengioma was recently identified in my head. I was told

Customer Question

A minengioma was recently identified in my head. I was told it could have been there at birth or maybe 20 years. It has not changed in the last 8 months. I have unusual headaches, not only in the spot where the minengioma is situated but at times in different places in my head. I have also been told that I have arthritis in my upper spine with pain just below my scalp in the right muscle of my neck.
Physical therapy helps only to a degree. The pain comes and goes. At times it feels like a vise is tightening around my head.
Do you have any understanding about what I should do or who I should see? My neurosurgeon doesn't understand the pain and suggested a Facette injection in my neck. I hesitate anything this drastic. PLEASE ADVISE ME!!!
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
I am sorry you are having this much pain.
it doesn't sound like the meningioma is causing your headaches and pain.
if you have bad arthritis in your neck and upper spine, a steroid injection into the facet joint joint in your spine could help decrease inflammation and pressure on nerves there and could help decrease your headaches
you can also try acupuncture in your neck to help decrease headaches.
you might benefit from a cervical spine MRI scan to better see your spine and nerves and bone in your neck.
I think you should consider a facet joint injection
you definitely should continue with physical therapy.
let me know if you have questions.