Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I am a 25 year old female. I have 3 children aged 6, 4 and

Customer Question

Hi, I am a 25 year old female. I have 3 children aged 6, 4 and 1. My past medical history is spondylolisthesis which affected my right leg over years of playing Hockey at a high level. In 2012 I had 3 different lots of Cortisone injections which all seemed to work at the time but then once worn off I haven't had as much pain as prior to the injections (possibly due to stopping Hockey).
6 months ago I started having severe headaches from when I woke and constantly dizzy. 2 months ago I started waking up with slight tingling over the LEFT side of my head which has now turned into the LEFT side of my head going numb. 3 weeks ago I woke up with a swollen LEFT foot which hurt around the muscles under my heel. 2 weeks ago I woke with a swollen LEFT hand and wrist. I have had to remove my wedding ring as it was constricted. It feels like someone is constantly squeezing my hand and like what I would presume arthritis would be like. For the past 7 days I have been waking with a completely numb Left arm. I have noticed I have come up with a strange red looking mole on the Left side of the back of my neck. Around the C1/C2 area. When I press on it I instantly get a shooting pain through my head and into the back of my eye. I take NO medication no drugs or alcohol. I live rural and eat a very healthy and balanced diet. I do intend to seek medical advice but it is hard to get there where we live. In the mean time any advice on what could be going on would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Rebecca
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.
You are having multiple symptoms and they may or may not be produced by a single condition, in otherwords there could be more than one condition to explain these varieties of symptoms. However there are some single conditions too which can actually cause all your symptoms.
For example the left sided numbness/tingling may be explained based on cervical spine problems (problem in the spine of neck area).
Cervical spine problems can also cause headaches and dizziness.
The headache and dizziness can have many other causes too, for example brain conditions too can cause headaches, and dizziness can be produced by brain or inner ear or certain other medical conditions.
Swelling of the hand, wrist and the foot can be explained based on various types of arthritic or rheumatological conditions especially autoimmune connective tissue disorders.
The strange red looking mole on the left side of the back of the neck appears some kind of skin condition, even a melanoma needs to be ruled out too.
Certain specific conditions that need to be ruled out when someone has numbness and swellings, dizziness etc include conditions like Lupus or Rheumatoid arthritis, or lyme disease (if risk is present), hepatitis (if risk is present). MS (Multiple Sclerosis) is another possibility to explain some of your symptoms like numbness or dizziness etc.
As you see there are many different possibilities and to find out the final precise cause of your symptoms you will require a thorough clinical examination followed by certain relevant investigations that may include a Brain & C spine MRI scan, certain specific blood tests which may include in addition to the routine electrolytes and cell counts more special blood tests like ESR/CRP, ANA, Rheumatoid factor, Serum complements, Lyme test, Hepatitis tests etc and a Spinal tap for CSF (Cerebrospinal fluid) analysis and also a nerve and muscle test called as EMG/Nerve conduction test etc may be needed to clinch the final precise diagnosis and once the final diagnosis is established it will be treated appropriately.
And please see that these various symptoms you are having do not automatically mean that there has to be an underlying serious condition, in fact on many occasions these type of symptoms can be related to some benign non-serious conditions too which can be treated & cured so please do not panic, try to see your clinic doctors as soon as possible so that you can receive a thorough clinical evaluation/clinical examination and also certain relevant investigations too as pointed above and once a final precise diagnosis is made it will be treated appropriately. An early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for quick and complete cure so please try to see your clinic doctors including a neurologist as soon as possible.
All the very best!
Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor