Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

Over the last 15 years I have dehydrated while biking in

Customer Question

Over the last 15 years I have dehydrated while biking in Colorado about five times. This has typically involved temporary memory loss or amnesia, brain functions returns as I hydrate. We've always thought the dehydration caused the memory loss. Last Tuesday I was also biking, but only a short time, when I appeared to my wife confused and disoriented. 5-hours in the ER determined I was not dehydrated and have now embarked on a series of EKGs--nothing; an EEG--tomorrow, seeing a neurologist who could only diagnose the episode as Short-term memory loss and "Encephalopathy acute" but no swelling was noted. My meeting with a psychiatrist today resulted in no insight, so he is sending me back to the neurolo gist. Any suggestions for alternate routes to explore.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

you need to get your blood glucose levels checked when you have these periods of memory loss.

you need to ask your doctor to borrow a blood glucose monitor to check your glucose levels when you have these episodes.

have you had this checked?