Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I've had a persistent headache 72 hours. It's in the base of

Customer Question

I've had a persistent headache for over 72 hours. It's in the base of the right side of my skull and neck. The symptoms are very similar to the feeling of whiplash although I've not been in any sort of accident that would have caused truama to my head or neck. OTC pain meds do nothing for the pain. It is consistent through out the day. Hurts worse when I move my head side to side or cough. My right eye has also been twitching
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist; the expert to whom this question was originally addressed is not available now so the company has made this question available to other experts too and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.
Coming to the discussion;
If you are concerned of any serious conditions like tumors/cancers or bleeding etc then I can reassure you this does not sound like related to any such serious conditions.
This could be a muscle or ligament sprain in the upper neck & lower skull region on the right side.
This may be from a disc bulge too.
A herniated disc too can cause these symptoms.
Hot or cold compressors & OTC pain meds are the initial treatments, if they do not help then you need to ask your doctors for stronger pain pills like Lortab or Percocet etc. A course of muscle relaxants like Tizanidine or Baclofen too can help in relieving the neck spasm & pain. Lidoderm anesthetic skin patch is another effective option.
If the symptoms persist then you also need an MRI scan of the affected area and once the diagnosis is finalized it will be treated appropriately.
The twitching of the right eye does not seem to be related to this upper neck area pain, however I can reassure you this twitching too does not appear to be related to any serious conditions. This is expected to resolve most likely by its own, if it persists then this also need to be evaluated in the clinic.
Once again I reassure you any serious possibilities like tumors/cancers or any bleeding etc do not appear to be the possibilities to explain your new symptoms; and the possibilities & the further management are as mentioned above.
Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I apply a strong pressure to the base of my head on the right side about 1.5 inches from my ear I get significant relief. However as soon as I release the pressure the pain comes back
It appears there is some irritated point and pressure on this point somehow gives relief from the pain.
The relief when pressing that particular point implies this is unlikely due to any serious issues because serious issues are unlikely to produce relief like this.
You may benefit from massage therapy to the painful area and it can provide you substantial relief. You may also consider trying one of the treatment options mentioned in the previous post too.
One or otherway serious possibilities look very unlikely.