Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I have been getting dizzy spells this past month and they

Customer Question

I have been getting dizzy spells this past month and they are increasing in frequency. I was sitting here tonight and my left shoulder felt like it was pulsing and my two last fingers on my left hand are tingling now...I'm 36 year old female and this is causing me concern.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?!?! This thing said a doctor was on hand and I inquired 30 minutes ago...
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist; the expert to whom this question was originally addressed is not available now so the company has made this question available to other experts too and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.
1) Are you having light-headedness (woozy feeling or fainting feeling) type of dizziness or vertigo type of dizziness (spinning type sensation) or both?
2) Are you having any other symptoms other than the symptoms you have mentioned here?
3) Have you already seen any doctor & have you had any investigations done (blood tests or any other investigations) ?
4) What treatments have you already tried & what are your current treatments (medications or non-medication treatments)?
5) Do you have any medical conditions like high blood pressure, low blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol, thyroid diseases or any other?
6) Are you under any excessive stress recently? Do you have any history of anxiety disorder, panic disorder or depressive illness etc?
(Regarding the time taken in answering your question please see that I answered your question as soon as I can, this is a 24 hour online service so different experts log-in to the site at different times, I answered this question the moment I logged-in so there is no time delay from my side)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) a little of both, but mostly it feels like a quick swimming sensation2) no other symptoms I can think of, those are the big ones3) I am in the Dr office now. No blood work as of yet.4) no medications5) no illnesses
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6) it could be stress related, work has been driving me nuts lately
Hi, thanks for all these additional information, and sorry I couldn't reply earlier as I was away from the computer and just returned.
Coming to the discussion;
First of all I want to reassure you these symptoms you are having including dizziness does not automatically indicate of anything serious.
There are many non-serious benign conditions too can cause the type of symptoms you are having.
Yes, this indeed could be stress related. Stress can produce almost any symptoms including dizziness too.
While this could be stress related however we need to explore other possibilities too. Your symptoms can be produced by varieties of other conditions including anemia, electrolyte disturbances, thyroid diseases, heart diseases, infections, inflammatory conditions, heart problems, brain conditions, neuropathies, inner ear disorders, circulation problems to the brain etc.
As pointed above stress too can cause these types of symptoms. Anxiety disorder too can cause this.
If your hydration status is not adequate then this too could cause these symptoms.
As you see there are various possibilities and you need a thorough evaluation in the clinic followed by certain relevant investigations. For example you may require certain specific blood tests, a brain scan, an echocardiogram, an EKG/Holter monitor, Tilt table test, checking for orthostatic hypotension etc and once final diagnosis is made it will be treated appropriately. In the meantime try to keep yourself well hydrated.
I see that you have already seen your Dr, I hope they will explore all the above possibilities with appropriate investigations. If needed a referral to specialists like neurologist, cardiologist, ENT etc too needs to be arranged.
Once again I reassure you these symptoms you are having including dizziness do not automatically mean that there is an underlying serious condition, in fact on many occasions these types of symptoms are related to some benign non-serious conditions which can be treated & cured, so please not to panic. And stress indeed could be the cause in your case. However we need to rule out other possibilities too. If all other possibilities are ruled out then we can confirm this is indeed stress related. If any other obvious cause is identified it will be treated appropriately, If this is confirmed to be stress related then one or more of the following anti-stress treatments can be tried;
Work adjustments/Work modifications (since work load appears to be the main culprit in your case)
Counseling/therapy (especially the CBT or Cognitive Behavioral therapy)
Biofeedback
Hypnotherapy
Acupuncture
Yoga & meditation
Deep breathing/Deep relaxation techniques
Herbal preparations like Rhodiola rosea, Valerian root extract, Kava
Benzodiazepines like Alprazolam or Clonazepam
SSRI agents like Fluoxetine or Sertraline
Azapirone agents like Buspirone
Beta blockers like Propranolol or Atenolol etc
The list contains names of allopathic & non-allopathic medications, non-medications, as well as complementary/alternative medicine options so that the treatment plan may be chosen depending upon the individual preferences. I am not telling all these above treatments are required in your case, but providing you with a list of varieties of treatment options that are available for diluting the excessive stress.
Once again I reassure you this may not be due to any actual health illness rather it may be due to excessive stress related, however try to rule out other possibilities as pointed above and then treated appropriately depending upon the final precise diagnosis.
All the very best!
Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Neuro Doctor