DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

I'm a little confused with what I should do about a recent

Customer Question

Hi there. I'm a little confused with what I should do about a recent injury. I was running and twisted my ankle in a hole. My knee then began to hurt, but I thought it would heal itself. 4 weeks later, and after x-rays and an MRI, I was told I have an acute nondisplaced, nondepressed intra-articular medial tibial plateau fracture with associated marrow edema and a nondisplaced acute subchondral fracture of the peripheral most aspect of the medial femoral condyle. (I don not know what size?) I have been on crutches and in a knee brace for the past 2 weeks, but I am still having pain and swelling. I will be honest that I am not the best patient, and have been putting some weight on it and not always using my crutches...but I'm in my brace all the time. Is this normal to still have pain? Did I injury myself further by not seeing the doc right away? Am I not healing right because I am putting weight on it? I have a follow up this week. What is my next step? Thanks.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Hello
It is normal to still have pain.
I would consider a cast.
I would re x ray the leg at this point.
You did not apparently injury it further, but that is hard to say for sure.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.