Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Board Certified MD
Experience:  15 years' clinical experience
23744323

What can I do, it's been almost 6 months after slap tear

Customer Question

what can I do, it's been almost 6 months after slap tear surgery and my arm goes totally numb when I reach at something with the affected arm. it started weeks after surgery with just tingling in forearm and thumb, index and a bit of my middle finger. I had steroid treatment three months ago and it seemed as if it was better but now the numbness is getting painful it feels so heavy in my forearm but whole arm from wrist to shoulderr is numbing, no more tingling. plus it's taking longer for it to stop after I stretch it out
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

It looks likely during the surgery you sustained the nerve injury.

And any subsequent activities are causing aggravation of the nerve inflammation.

You will need to get a nerve conduction study first to assess the extent of nerve damage.

Steroid does help with the symptoms.

In fact steroid injection intra articular can be tried.

Physical therapy by an experienced therapist can be attempted to avoid nerve injury.

If there is significant nerve impingement, then you may need to see a neurosurgeon for another nerve repair surgery.

Nerve block injection can be tried as well.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today.

If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask.

I am here to answer them.

I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****