Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My question is pediatric neurologist. My daughter will be 6

Customer Question

My question is for a pediatric neurologist. My daughter will be 6 months old in 1 week and I am trying to see if she has a positive head tilt reflex. I get a definite positive on her left side, but the right side is not as distinct. I feel like she does
it most of the time, but some times not. and it is not as hard of a tilt as the left side. She does have a very mild case or right side torticollis, so I was thought that might play a role in it. Admittedly, I over perform this test multiple times in a row,
and do it several times a day, so that could play a role in it also. I read online that it can be a red flag for autism, so I am very anxious about this. i guess my question is, how much of a "tilt" is required and is it concerning if it doesn't fully develop
until 8 or 9 months ( I read that it could take that long). If her head moves to the upright position for a second or 2, does that count? And does it count if she only does it sometimes? Thank you in advance.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
You should not believe everything you read online. Head tilt is not something that you should be trying to diagnose and test on your own at home.
Also, there is a whole lot more that goes into making such a serious diagnosis as autism in a child. Stop playing with her head.
You should talk to your doctor about your anxiety and get some help with it.
If you are truly concerned about autism then, by all means, take your daughter into her pediatrician for a full exam and, if indicted, consult with a sub specialist with extensive experience diagnosing and treating autistic children.
Does this make sense to you?
I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.
Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.
Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.
Dr. Rick MD FACS