Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

Yesterday I used this website to ask about this fluid that

Customer Question

Yesterday I used this website to ask about this fluid that leaked out the right side of my nose while I was sleeping I didn't wake up from it or nothing my nephew woke me up, when I sat up I felt something running out of my nose so I grabbed a napkin and
at this time it was some kind of clear fluid. I looked down on the bed and there was a puddle of some kind of fluid but it was like watery and had a pinkish color to it and it kinda looked like the pinkish color that was in it cud of been sand, well the response
I got back Is it cud be csf brain leakage, but I just got diagnosed with epilepsy July2 nd 2015 and I was in the hospital for about 4 days before that they did 3 different scans on my brain the first one was just on my brain they said that was normal the second
one was to see if I had any blood clots or anything and that was normal the last one was on my. Brain waves and they said that was abnormal the waves on the left side of my brain was abnormal so they put me on kepra 500mg in the morning and 500 at night, oh
I almost forgot for about the next hour if I sat up or stood up for more then about 5 minutes then a clear liquid wud drain out of only the right side of my after about a hour it stopped but in the right side of my nose felt really sore but it only felt sore
on the inside of my nose far inside around my eyes. So I'm tryn to find out if it cud be csf in just a month's time since I just had a lot of scans done on my brain wudn't they have seen it if that was it? Please get back with me and let me know if that could
still be csf since I just had them scans done, thanks
Category: Neurology
Expert:  vakularen replied 1 year ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.CSF leaks through the nose are usually seen following trauma to the skull or some form of ENT /cranial surgery ,causing damage to the internal structures of the cranium and sinuses.Spontaneous leaks do not occur in more than 5 in 100,000 people annually,this is extremely rare and would be spotted on imaging studies of the brain.The possibililty of this being fluid from allergic or infectious sinusitis,allergic rhinnorhea leading to thin watery fluid leak.Getting a ENT check up done by your GP/PCP or ENT specialist will be the best way since you have probably ruled out any cranial problem or CSF fistula .