Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I have been having pain from the back of my head up along

Customer Question

Hi, I have been having pain from the back of my head up along the top sort of left of centre for about a year and a half. One night I set up in bed and sort of the base of my skull on the left side felt like it seized up the way a muscle would when it cramps. So now I get these pains all on the left side of my head, sometimes the pain will be sharp and fleeting in nature, other times it can feel dull and achy. As I said it can be just at the top, left of centre or sometimes the pain will be a tiny bit above my ear and across the top of my temple. My doc started me on tegretol 100mg a day around 2 weeks ago and I noticed it got a bit better but the past day or so the pain has came back a bit.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should also add that whenever I have these pains, they do tend to come and go, I often get either a pain in my left ear or my left ear either feeling like it constantly needs popped or my ear will seem to pop randomly itself. I dont know whether this is connected or not though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also get this sort of clunking noise if i tilt or turn my head to the left and I can also hear a scraping noise to. Physio told me this was something called 'cavatation', I think thats how to spell it. She said it was just air that had built up in my joints escaping much like what happens when someone cracks their knuckles. She did not do an examination on me though, I explained what happened and she said what it was.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

any other medical problems?

sounds like a muscle spasm
what other meds have you tried?