Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

I recently had a soft tissue mri of my neck. i have been

Customer Question

I recently had a soft tissue mri of my neck. i have been having neck crackling and right sided neck pain when i turn my head. Everything came back normal. The radiologists said a soft tissue neck mri was different than a cervical mri and not as good as
diagnosing spine problems. My question is, would anything abnormal with my spine ( i.e.. mass or bulging etc.) show up op my soft tissue mri?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidbecause the windowing of the MRI scan is different from soft tissue neck vs cervical spine MRI scan.the cervical spine MRI scan window is much smaller, only focusing on the bones and the disk and nervesthe soft tissue looks a the whole neck and so the is very small in the middle of the neck and so it is hard to see the disks and nerves well on the cervical soft tissue neck MRI scan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. So the soft tissue MRI would likely see a tumour/cyst , while the cervical spine mri would show nerve/disc problems?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
the soft tissue neck MRI scan looks at your neck lymph nodes and muscleswhile the cervical spine MRI scan looks at the bones, disk and nerves of your cervical spine.let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/Thanks for using JustAnswers.com