Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Doctor - I am having some vibrations in my knee and area

Customer Question

Hello Doctor - I am having some vibrations in my knee and area above it. Vibrations happen primarily when i am standing or walking
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist; the expert to whom this question was originally addressed is not available now so the company has made this question available to other experts too and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.
1) Is vibration the only symptom, or are there any other symptoms too like pain, swelling, or stiffness etc in and around the knee area?
2) Any recent trauma or injuries to the knee area?
3) Approximately for how long are you having this symptom?
4) Have you already seen any doctor & have you had any investigations done?
5) Is the vibration feeling severe and affecting your daily activities or quality of life?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. There are no other symptoms like pain, swelling or stiffness in and around the knee
2. No recent injuries in the knee area.
3. This has been happening since about 5 days
4. No
5. Vibration is very minor. It is like a phone ringing in the pocket.
Thanks for all these additional information. I am typing the answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.
Okay I am ready and I am posting my answer here.
First of all I want to reassure you this does not sound like any serious health problem.
This type of isolated vibratory sensation in and around the knee area can be felt if there is some mild instability with the joint structure or soft tissue structures around the knee. These soft tissue structures include ligaments, tendons, muscle etc.
These type of mild injuries are temporary, so these are not permanent injuries and are expected to heal by themselves.
You may avoid any strenuous activities involving the knee for some time till this symptom resolves.
If this symptom persists even after wait & watch for another week or so then you may see your clinic doctors so that they can examine the knee area and also investigate this with an MRI scan of the knee and this test can tell us whether any pathological condition can be identified to explain this symptom and if any such pathology is identified it will be treated appropriately.
I once again reassure you this new symptom is most likely not due to any serious or irreversible condition and this is expected to resolve soon, however if this persists then please see your clinic doctors and also try to undergo an MRI scan of the knee area as discussed above.
Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Customer