Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I take Gabapentin capsules pain can I take 3 capsules

Customer Question

I take Gabapentin capsules for leg pain can I take 3 capsules of 300mg at a time and presently take 2700 mg a day, Is is safe to up the doseage to to 3600mg and take 3 capsules every 6 hours? I also take pain pills for the pain.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello. The maximum dose of gabapentin depends on one's age, overall health (e.g. kidney function) and the reason for its use. Officially, the manufacturer states that doses can be titrated up as needed for neuropathic pain to a dose of 1800 mg/day (600 mg three times a day). In clinical studies, efficacy was demonstrated over a range of doses from 1800 mg/day to 3600 mg/day with comparable effects across the dose range; however, in these clinical studies, the additional benefit of using doses greater than 1800 mg/day was not demonstrated.For adults, dosages up to 2400 mg/day have been well tolerated in long-term clinical studies. Doses of 3600 mg/day have also been administered to a small number of patients for a relatively short duration, and have been well tolerated.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Before making any changes to your dose, be sure to call or visit your doctor's office for approval.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have any follow up questions about this.