Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery, 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I dislocated my fifth toe several times and this last time

Customer Question

I dislocated my fifth toe several times and this last time it could not be reduced, so my surgeon fused the the PIP joint and put a pin on it . I have been non weight bearing for 4 weeks and the pin comes out Thursday. I am a nurse and am reading that toe fusion is with open reduction is not good, will I be able to walk etc. after pin is removed. If toe is fused how will I ?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the details.
Its safe so as long as it does not get infected and since it has been 4 weeks, the wound has healed so you are now out of the timeline in which any complications can arise. Yes, you will be able to walk since, the fifth toe PIP joint does not contribute to the gait cycle.
Let me know if you have any queries about this.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.