Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

I have soreness behind right ear. It started after my hair

Customer Question

I have soreness behind right ear. It started after my hair was washed at the hairdressers. The asst. was very aggressive and I felt pain on the right bone directly behind the ear as my head bobbed against the sink. I noticed the pain the next day and has been worse in the morning. I sleep on that side. It tends to subside after showering and using the heat from my hair dryer. I can't say I have a headache just soreness if I move my head back or to the right side. I do have chronic tinnitus in that ear so it's hard to say if that's a symptom related to this. No ear pain. It's been a over a week and I'm concerned that it may have turned more serious
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

it sounds most likely like a pinched nerve or strained muscle in your neck.

it sounds like heat helps it

you might want to try a heating pad on your neck to help relax muscles in your neck which could help your soreness behind your right ear.

you might benefit from neck stretching exercises.

have you tried these?