Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had a car accident 15 years ago whereby I sustained concussion

Customer Question

I had a car accident 15 years ago whereby I sustained concussion and was hospitalized overnight then released the next day.
I have had continuing symptoms that are increasing in frequency as I get older. I am now 41.
These symptoms include headaches,
Burning feeling on the side of impact, dizziness, feelings of disorientation, sometimes blind spots to my left when driving, sensitive to sounds, inability to find simple words, tiredness, emotional outbursts from frustration.
These symptoms are having quite an effect one life as when they all coincide together I am pretty useless.
I have seen a neuroligist who wouldn't run tests, just Wanted to medicate. I am starting to worry that there is some permanent damage.
Should I be tested with CT scans or MRI!
Regards Naomi
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
I am sorry that you are having so much difficulty after the head trauma.
As a general rule, the decision of whether to perform an imaging test would be determined by the findings on neurologic examination. If there were no significant findings other than the cognitive symptoms, then imaging studies would usually not be done.
Part of the difficulty is that the standard imaging tests, such as CT scan and MRI, are not good at detecting the chronic changes that can occur after head trauma. So when evaluating people that are having cognitive difficulties after head trauma, these imaging tests are not that useful. There is much research being done to try to find an appropriate testing modality, and we will likely get there in the future, but the current technology is limited.
It would be an option to consider consultation at a research medical facility, where they are doing studies to try to find the next generation of tests that can help in this situation, but whether that is practical would depend upon how close you are to a research facility and whether that facility is researching this issue.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.