Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Ive been having MS like symptoms than

Customer Question

Hey There,
Ive been having MS like symptoms for more than a year now, vision issues, dizziness, numbness etc. Went to a neurologist recently and got a 1.5 tesla MRI done, and he told me nothing was wrong with my brain. Now after reading some threads, its possible that the damage would not show up with a 1.5 tesla scan. Im currently following a low saturated fat diet, and am taking a bunch of supplements that are suppose to fight flare ups. Ive been to the ER twice, and they have told me nothing is wrong with me.....Ive got another neurologist lined up as well as eye doctor and ENT apps. Any input would be greatly appreciated. The next tests I should have done are a spinal tap...3 tesla MRI...and what else do you think? Thank you.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My current diet is as follows:
supplements used:
Life extension brain shield
Lions mane mushroom
organic vitamin C
fish oil
organic multi-vitamin
COQ10
magnesium
Life Extension Vitamin D 2000 IUMy diet is free of possible allergens(gluten, dairy, peanuts, soy, etc)
I eat as many organic fruits and veggies as possible, supplementing with quality low fat high nutrition sources of protein and carbohydrates. Thank you for your time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't drink or smoke.
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.
You are on the right track, a spinal tap (for spinal fluid) & 3 tesla MRI are the next tests to explore the possibility of MS. The spinal fluid shows findings like abnormally increase Oligoclonal bands, IgG levels, IgG index, Myelin basic protein in majority of MS patients and if these findings are present they are highly suggestive of MS. The 3 tesla MRI is superior in identifying MS findings compared to 1.5 tesla MRI so getting 3 tesla MRI is also the correct thing to do now.
There is another MS related test I would recommend and it is called as the “Evoked potential study”. There are actually 3 different tests under this heading – 1) VEP (Visual evoked potential study), 2) BAER (Brainstem auditory evoked response study), and 3) SSER (Somatosensory evoked response test), and these tests help in looking for MS related abnormalities along the visual, auditory (hearing) and ascending sensory pathways of the central nervous system (brain & spinal cord) and these tests further help in ruling in or ruling out MS diagnosis.
While ruling out the possibility of MS parallely we also need to rule out conditions that may mimic MS – for examples conditions like lupus, sjogren’s, lyme disease, thyroid diseases etc – so if such other conditions have not been ruled out then these too need to be ruled out.
Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.
Best regards,
Customer