Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am years old and suffer from osteo arthritis in my left

Customer Question

I am 69 years old and suffer from osteo arthritis in my left knee, outer joint. I have had the synvisc injections about 1 year ago. This helped for about 3 months once it set in, 5 months total. I am very active and exercise almost daily.Walking brings on delayed pain as does standing for long periods which my job requires. Bike riding actually relieves the stiffness. What I do not understand is that some days you would not know I had a problem and others I can hardly bend my knee. I had the same thing with my left foot this past weekend. Friday and Saturday I could hardly put weight on my foot mainly the outside ball. Sunday you wouldn't know I had had any trouble. Nasaids do not help much.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Like many conditions, osteoarthritis can have good days and bad days without any apparent reason. Certainly, there are some factors that can be readily identified that can cause good and bad days, but even with everything staying the same, there will be good and bad days.
Traditionally, some people claim that exacerbations were related to specific environmental conditions, such as predictions that it is about to rain, but studies indicate that for most people, it is just natural fluctuation in symptoms.
We typically will simply adjust the treatment regimen to address whatever pattern of symptoms are present in each individual.
If the NSAIDs are not helping, then you should discuss with your doctor about another treatment with Synvisc. The Synvisc cannot be used too often, but if it has been a year and it worked fairly well last time, then a repeat treatment can be considered at this point.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.